BrainsWay deep transcranial magnetic stimulation or dTMS is a non-invasive treatment developed by BrainsWay, a leading medical technology company, to help relieve the symptoms associated with certain mental health conditions. The skilled team at Neuroscience Specialists offers expert care for a wide range of brain and spine conditions in Oklahoma City, OK. We also provide specialized aftercare to improve outcomes. Contact our office for an appointment today.
What is BrainsWayDeep Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (Deep TMS)?
BrainsWay deep transcranial magnetic stimulation or dTMS is a non-invasive treatment developed by BrainsWay, a leading medical technology company, to help relieve the symptoms associated with certain mental health conditions.
Indications for BrainsWay Deep Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (Deep TMS)
BrainsWay Deep TMS has been cleared by the FDA for treatment of the following conditions:
- Major depressive disorder (MDD)
- Obsessive-compulsive disorder
- Smoking cessation
Preparation for BrainsWayDeep Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation
To prepare for the procedure, you may have to undergo a physical examination and psychiatric evaluation to ensure that BrainsWay Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation is appropriate for your condition. You must also inform your doctor of any health conditions, allergies, and regular medications you are taking.
BrainsWayDeep Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation Procedure
- You will sit in the treatment chair, and the doctor will fit a cushioned helmet onto your head, ensuring correct alignment to stimulate the relevant brain structures.
- Within the helmet is BrainsWay’s patented H-coil technology, designed to directly stimulate deep and broad regions of the brain. The helmet has a flexible base that can easily accommodate various head shapes and sizes.
- After the helmet is fitted, the dTMS machine is turned on and the H-coil sends magnetic pulses to activate and regulate neural activity over a large area within the deeper regions of the brain.
- It takes approximately20 minutes to complete the procedure.
- A typical treatment plan lasts 4 to 5 weeks with daily sessions and periodic maintenance sessions afterward.
Risk and Side-effects of BrainsWayDeep Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation
Side-effects of BrainsWay deep transcranial magnetic stimulation include the following:
- Scalp tenderness
- Jaw pain
- Tooth pain
- Seizures, in rare cases
Most of these side-effects are mild and diminish over the course of the treatment.
Benefits of BrainsWay Deep Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation
Some of the benefits of BrainsWay deep transcranial magnetic stimulation are as follows:
- No systemic side-effects
- Sessions are only 20 minutes
- Effective for medication-resistant patients