Cerebrovascular surgery also called neurovascular surgery, involves the surgical repair of the blood vessels that supply oxygen to your brain. The skilled team at Neuroscience Specialists offers expert care for a wide range of brain and spine conditions in Oklahoma City, OK. We also provide specialized aftercare to improve outcomes. Contact our office for an appointment today.
What is Cerebrovascular Surgery?
Cerebrovascular surgery also called neurovascular surgery, involves the surgical repair of the blood vessels that supply oxygen to your brain. It is performed for the treatment of various neurovascular conditions in which part of your brain is affected due to restricted blood flow or bleeding. It can be performed for both adults and children (pediatric).
What are the Indications for Cerebrovascular/Neurovascular Surgery?
Cerebrovascular/neurovascular surgery may be indicated for the treatment of the following brain conditions:
- Vascular malformations such as cavernous malformations, arteriovenous malformations, and lymphatic/venous malformations
- Brain hemorrhage also called cerebral hemorrhage
- Cerebral aneurysm
- Hemorrhagic and ischemic stroke
- Carotid artery stenosis
- Idiopathic intracranial hypertension
- Trigeminal neuralgia
- Transient ischemic attack
- Moyamoya disease
What is Used to Perform Cerebrovascular/Neurovascular Surgery?
Cerebrovascular/neurovascular surgery is performed with the help of the following:
- Surgical scalpels, catheters, and sutures
- Brain function monitoring through an electroencephalogram (EEG)
- Imaging tests such as angiography
- Computer assistance for improved accuracy
What are the Benefits of Cerebrovascular/Neurovascular Surgery?
Cerebrovascular/neurovascular surgery treats complex brain conditions and offers multiple benefits including:
- Minimally invasive incisions
- Less blood loss
- Fast recovery
- Improved patient care
- Increased chances of success
- Better quality of life